Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Questioning

As we all know, people have been debating for years about how old a person should be before they are old and wise enough to make some decisions, getting tattoos is on that list. At the moment without parent consent you have to be 18 to get a tattoo, though some states will allow it with a parent's signature at as young as 16.

So just like everything else is this right? I mean it IS your life and your decision. But are people truly smart enough to get a tattoo that they will not regret at the age of 16, or will those two extra years make all the difference?

A lot can happen in two years, and you can change your mind a million times, but what about the two years after that when you turn 20? Can't your mind change a million more times in those two years? So are we just delaying what is inevitable... or is there purpose?

If you can talk your parents into allowing you to get this tattoo then why are you not capable of just getting it by yourself? To me this all together does not make sense.

Tattoos are a form of art and self expression, so are we stifling creative minds by not allowing them to get the tattoos they want over age.. It's a complicated subject once you start to wrap your head around it. I mean, commitment is something that most people have a fear of or issue with, and that is exactly what this is, committing to have something inked on to your body for the rest of your life. When you stop to think about it it's a scary thought.
Yes, I am a fan of tattoos, but the more I blog and think about it the less I want to get the ideas I'd had for tattoos. But should the barrier of whether you get a tattoo really be your age? Or should it be your story behind it.. You have to go in and explain why you want it and if they think it is logical then you get it. It's hard to decide on what is right for the majority, because one person will get a tattoo at 16 and love it through their life, when another will get a tattoo at 48 and want to get it removed in two days.

So how old do you think you should be to get a tattoo, and why?

5 comments:

  1. I think 18 is a good age to get a tattoo. Because when you're young, you tend to do a lot of stupid things. And i don't think that putting an age restriction on tattooes is stifling creativity because tattooes can be dangerous. 16-year-olds who want to be rebellious could go to someone who's a friend of a friend, or a friend's cousin or whatever. And who knows if that person's actually licensed to give someone a tattoo? Especially a minor without parental consent. Tattoos are dangerous enough anyways. There are a million things that could go wrong. If the needles are not cleaned properly, you could get a serious infection or even HIV/AIDS. I think it's a good idea to wait until you're 18 or at least get parental consent so that they can take you to a licensed professional and they can make sure you're safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that 18 is a reasonable age. You are or should be well rounded enough to make a serious decison like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it really matters if it is 16 or 18 beacuase either way you could get Tattoo that you don't like at either age. I mean yes you will be matured by 2 years, but I think 16 would be fine too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jasmine, you need to be at least 18 or 20 to be able to make a decison that will affect the rest of your life. At least at that age you know that you werent immature, because at 18 or 20 you should be matured. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think 18 is an okay age, even though I wish I could get a tattoo now. I don't know, I guess you are a little more mature by the time you're 18, but probably not by too much.

    ReplyDelete