Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The most important part of getting a tattoo is knowing what you are getting yourself into. For some people that means knowing the history Behind the Ink and know initally where it all started.

When you get a tattoo, what you are actually doing is placing a pigment into your skin's dermis, which is the layer of tissue just under the epdermis or your outermost layer of skin. That's what makes the process so painful. You literally have to prick your skin over and over while the ink seeps into the small wounds. After your skin heals and the dead and dry skin flakes away you are left with your tattoo under a fresh layer of skin.

Though the process seems painful and most people would reject it some are addicted to it, because just like everything else that you do it can be addictive.

But what is the pigment or dye that you are putting into your skin? And how did this process all start?

Well, tattoos are dated as far back as the fourth to fifth millennium BCE that a mummy is said to have tattoos that were not as intricate as they are now, but they were simple dots and lines on various parts of the body. In other parts of the world simplistic tattooing was known as well.
But the further up you move in time the more heavily tattooed many of the tribes are. Tattooing was something that you did to define you as a person, to show how unique you are or to spiritually conected to whatever higher power you believe in.
But now tattoos are much more, they area way to remember those who we've lost, show that we are each unique, to military or religous reasons and sometimes just for fun [not recomended].
Tats are a big deal, you need to think wisely before you decide what you want, if you want it, and where you want it.
Most tattoo artists will ask or sit and talk with you about what you want and why before actually tattooing you, they are serious about what they do and do not want to brand someone for life too easily.

With this I want to explore the world and reasons behind tattoos. So many people inked with storys behind each drop.


Could you let the ink set in? Do you have the guts it takes?

6 comments:

  1. I really hope to get a tattoo someday. However, I want it to have a meaning behind it, so I wouldn't regret it. I would NEVER have a boy's named tattooed on me though, haha! I'm afraid it will hurt, but a lot of people do it, so it can't hurt too bad, right? (:
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would cry if I got a tattoo, but I do want one, one day. Maybe just a small one though because I am baby when it comes to pain. I think it's really cool that you are interested in all this and know so much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. iii can't wait to get a tattoo. HAHA,i decided last summer i was cool enough to try &tattoo myself. I sat outside starbucks with two friends, a needle and indian ink and scraped into my skin for what seemed like forever. No one else lasted but, lucky me, i still have the scar of a bird on my left wrist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this article. I was confused by some of the terms to do with the skin and all, but I eventually understood as you went into detail. Responding to your question, I think I could let the ink set in. Though I know that it would be painful I would have the guts to take it, even if it meant it would be there for life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tattooes are a serious thing. i don't know if i would ever get one. i probably wouldn't be able to handle the pain very well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really am excited about getting my first tattoo. I'm not really worried about the pain. I very tolerant of pain, and also a lot of people who get tattooes say that they don't hurt.

    ReplyDelete